Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Prescriptions

I don’t really have the habit of taking pills or medicine since young. Even if I was down with flu or fever, I always refused to take any form of medicine to help me get better. I don’t know why, but I felt that medicine would make me feel weaker and sort of addicted to them.

But then, as I grow older and got more exposed to the information about the medicines, I find out that suitable amount of drugs can help to boost our immune system and help us to recover faster from any diseases. Some drug will help to curb or lighten the sickness or diseases.

Besides, as I was doing my readings on the internet, I found out that there are some differences between brand-name prescriptions and generic prescriptions. When a company develops a new drug, the company will receive a patent that lasts for 20 years. So other companies are unable to sell the drug unless they obtain the permission from the developing company within the 20 years period. After that, other companies may develop and sell the drug but by observing certain rules and regulations especially following the compound and quality. And this is called general prescriptions. The main difference will be the cost of producing the compound will be much cheaper compared to brand-name prescriptions thus the consumers can obtain the compound for cheaper price but getting the same quality.

It is very interesting right? It was my first knowing about this after reading about it. I guess it will be helpful for those who visit pharmacy or drugstores always for prescription medicines. You could save some money!


4 comments:

Janice ♥ said...

my gp just told me about it two weeks ago. UK is trying to encourage GPs to prescribe generic drugs because it's cheaper. However, I met a patient the other day who couldn't tolerate the generic drug and has to switch to the branded one. Weird huh since they hv the same compound

CH Voon said...

To maintain the patent you need to pay every years.
Else it is open for others. ( I think so)
Medicine… I hope I will not to take….

Ah Ngao said...

Gabriel,careful when you combine your usual medicine with another new medicine(especially pain killer types) which is your 1st time try,can gives eliphatic allergy.

Gabriel said...

Janice: oo...okie..real life experience huh? that's cool..

CHVoon:oo...haha...i also dun really like taking medicine. :)

An Ngao: oo...okie..yea, thanks for the advice and reminder. :)