Wednesday, April 15, 2009

one of the choices to make

hmm...it's going to be my final year soon, and i am required to choose a major. the university offers 5 majors-Petroleum, Energy, Materials, Automotive and Manufacturing.

Among the five, Automotive is definitely out as i am not into cars that much even though i am going to be a mechanical engineer soon. well, mechanical is not just only about cars right? engineers out there, agree with me? if u dun agree also nvm...hehe....

and i don't think i am going to take Petroleum as my major as there are just too much things about oil and gas industry to be covered in three subjects within a year. perhaps a master in the future will serve the purpose.

so now left with Energy, Materials and Manufacturing. For Energy, the alternative energy and the energy conversion and management seem interesting but the Refrigeration and air conditioning kind of intimidates me. Well, for july 05 batch, we all know how “awesome” our heat transfer and thermodynamics had turned out to be, am i right? If wrong also nvm…hehe… Therefore, most likely I will “abandon” Energy and go for other two.

As for Materials, I am not so into advanced engineering materials but then the corrosion engineering as well as the failure analysis interests me. Well, not only the subjects are interesting but I think nowadays the industry requires a lot of failure analysts and corrosion engineers, especially the industry that deals with seawater and also chemicals **hint hint**. :P So, it seems this will be a very good go.

But then, Manufacturing interests me greatly as well. During my (well, ongoing) internship, I have been dealing with a lot of components designs (parts, pipes, nuts, bolts and etc), structural and welding inspection. And all these, we mainly learn about them in our manufacturing subjects. Besides, the subject Automation and Robotics has really captured my attention as I have been quite interested in robotics ever since secondary school (see, mechanical is not just about automotive..hehe).

So, I am having little bit of dilemma here. Hehe…but then it’s not so big deal. I will figure out soon, just need to wait for God’s hints and guidance. Hehe….God will provide and show the way.

Anyway, above are just some of my thoughts and perspectives, everyone is welcome to give some opinions, some constructive ones ya…the choices are very subjective thus there are no right and wrong answers. Have a great day and looking forward to feedback from you all.

3 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

Yes Gab..do what yr heart desires and God will do the rest...
good u hv two to choose from...

liangyi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
liangyi said...

seems like u ard have idea in ur mind man!
GO GO GO !!!