Saturday, March 19, 2011

"I am number 4" movie review

A friend started calling me movies fanatic after my university years because of my so called "passion" for movies in the cinemas. I didn't think it was something offensive or demeaning, but until my manager mentioned a saying that goes like this, " You could do some self learning on the weekends to improve yourself, instead of doing something useless like, watching movies.".

ouch. that hurts. But then of course, he wasn't referring to me at that time as he was just talking to a big group of us. :)

Nevertheless, I still watched a movie before I was called up to the offshore. :P I am that stubborn huh? who says habits can be changed overnight? LOL.

This time around, I watched "I am Number Four" by DJ Caruso, starring Alex Pettyfer, Timothy Olyphant and Dianna Agron.


The movie is about a group of aliens gifted with special abilities hiding among the humans in order to wait for the days to revive their lost planet, Lorien. All these aliens had the human appearances and they were 9 of them and each of them were protected by their guardians against Morgadorians, the evil forces that destroyed their planet.

Of course, the evil forces found them and because of a charm on the gifted aliens, they could only be killed in sequence according to their numbers. John Smith was the fourth after three before him had been killed. He was believed to be the strongest among the 9. So the story of discovering his gift and his journey of fighting against the evil aliens began.

Food for thought
It's a science fiction movie, which is something I like when I was in high school and early years of university. But as I grow older (ahem...), I think I prefer some other types of movies.

Anyway, in the movie, something that worth a thought was the phrase that John's guardian Henri mentioned before he died. He said, "You have no idea what you are capable of." I think from time to time, we need to be reminded of what we are worth, how much potentials that we could have if we could believe in ourselves more and don't lose faith. With the world revolving around us so fast, and so many unhappy things happening around us all the time, most of the time we tend to degrade ourselves and fall into the thinking that "nah, I am not that capable, forget about it. "

Like someone i know said the other day, "It is not stupid to make mistakes, but it is stupid to make the same mistake over and over again." I have to agree with that, it is fine to fall down once in a while, but remember to stand back up and don't stumble at the same spot every time!

2 comments:

Clint said...

There are times that a movie may have a certain message for me---something that is meaningful only to me, that contains a deeper message. I like that. Perhaps your boss could learn a thing or two from an occasional movie?

Gabriel said...

yeap. hopefully. hahaa..